When you’re a Spartan, you’re part of something far bigger than campus’ 5,200 acres. We’re a global community and passionate about making the world a better place. Spartans are a force for good and have a proud tradition of service.
Spartans Serve is a year-round initiative designed to show the world the extraordinary impact Spartans can make through service. To join, find an existing project or consider planning your own!
General Project Information
There are two types of projects:
- Virtual. A virtual project does not require in-person attendance. Volunteers can serve from anywhere and at any time.
- In person. An in-person project requires physical attendance on a specified date and time. This category also includes donations or drives.
Projects are organized by:
- Alumni Club/Affinity Group – These projects are generally open to everyone.
- MSU – a campus-based group. These projects are generally open to everyone.
- Student – these projects are only available to current MSU students.
- Other – all remaining projects. These include employers, people or groups not included above. These projects are generally open to everyone, but check the project description.
If you have any questions about a particular service project, contact the project coordinator.
The first time you register for a service project, you’ll create a volunteer account.
Your volunteer accounts enables you to:
- Register for projects quickly.
- View the projects you’ve volunteered for. Simply click on the project in the "My Projects" tab of this website for information.
- Change or cancel your registration for a project.
- Update your contact information.
- Track your service hours.
How to Volunteer
Volunteers should register in advance for the service project they’re interested in. Why?
- Some projects have capacity limits.
- Some community partners require additional information.
- The project coordinator needs an accurate headcount.
- The project coordinator must communicate with volunteers, including potential project changes.
Registering for a project is fast and easy. After creating your volunteer account, find a project you’re interested in, click the "Register" option for that project and follow steps to register.
If you’re registering more than one person, provide the volunteer’s name and email address, not your own, for anyone 18 years of age or older. This ensures that each volunteer receives a confirmation email with information about the project and gets credit for their service.
After you successfully register, you’ll receive a confirmation email. This email includes the details of the service project including the name and contact information of the project coordinator. Direct all questions to the project coordinator.
If you misplace your confirmation email, sign in to your volunteer account, which lists all the projects you’ve volunteered for. Find the project and simply click on the project for information.
If you need to change or cancel your registration, sign in to your volunteer account. Find the project and then click the “View/Edit Registration” option.
For More Information
Visit our FAQ page if you have questions about the Spartans Serve effort. Should you have additional questions, contact the MSU Alumni Office by email or by calling (517) 884-2106.